Thursday, March 27, 2014

Roasted Crispy Goodness: I can't wait to be back

If I were someone to ever undertake a cleanse, now would be a great time. Even looking at food brings on a large bout of queasiness. Meat consumption attempt deux was another epic failure. Actually, consumption is far too grand of a term. Let’s call it a nibble, or as the Italians say a spuntino. 

Sunday evening after attempting and failing to bowl at three different alleys, we assuaged our annoyance with pizza from Otto. With its snappy-thin gluten free crust, the pizzas always just bring on nostalgia with a heaping dose of "this is so much better than I thought pizza could taste." We ordered the Ricotta, tomato, basil eggplant (my choice) and a chicken asiago… I tried half of a half of a small piece of pizza with most of the chicken taken off…

Well three days later, my normally insatiable stomach has been tossing like trash in the ocean. My diet has been primarily gatorade, broth and animal crackers. Toast for breakfast? Too rich for this palette. I am so done with this nonsense. 

I look forward to returning to not so stormy stomachs and sleeping less than 15 hours in a day. In hopes that this isn’t far in the future, I will celebrate my good ole pal tofu. Not the forgettable mush that is associated with this amorphous protein or the “grilled tamari” cubes that Whole Foods sadly sells at its prepared food bar. They taste like cardboard and disappointment. These roasted, crispy bites were inspired by Chef Jeff at Flour. He would make trays of these delicious cubes for the roasted veg and quinoa salad. About a third of each tray would mysteriously vanish… I plead the fifth as to its whereabouts.

I typically make two at a time; no one likes to be alone!
Tamari Tofu

1 Package of Extra Firm Tofu
1/2c Regular or Reduced Sodium Tamari
1/4 C Rice Vinegar
2 tsp of Toasted Sesame Oil( I use Trader Joe’s) or 
Wasabi Optional

Set Oven to 400

Unwrap Tofu from container and drain all fluid. Wrap the Tofu in paper towel and place under a weight for 10 minutes or more.
Very Pressing Issues
Combine Tamari, Rice Vinegar, Wasabi and Toasted Oil in a Large Gladware or Tupper container
Dice Tofu into your preferred size: I go with 5 length wise cuts and two width wise cuts
Add Tofu to a tupperware and gently toss to coat
Marinate for at least 15 minutes
While it marinates, line a pan with parchment paper or tin foil. Then using a slotted spoon or spatula, add the Tofu to the pan. Reserve any remaining marinade for roasting vegetables

Roast in the Oven for 20 minutes. Switch to the broiler for the remaining five minutes for a crispy crust.
Voila!






No comments:

Post a Comment